Quarterly report pursuant to Section 13 or 15(d)

Corporate Reorganization

Corporate Reorganization
6 Months Ended
Jun. 30, 2014
Corporate Reorganization [Abstract]  
Corporate Reorganization
1. Corporate Reorganization


In February 2011, NCLH, a Bermuda limited company, was formed with the issuance to the Sponsors of, in aggregate, 10,000 ordinary shares, with a par value of $.001 per share. On January 24, 2013, NCLH consummated the IPO. In connection with the consummation of the IPO, the Sponsors’ ordinary shares in NCLC were exchanged for the ordinary shares of NCLH at a share exchange ratio of 1.0 to 8.42565 and NCLH became the owner of 100% of the ordinary shares (representing a 97.3% economic interest) and parent company of NCLC (the “Corporate Reorganization”). Accordingly, NCLH contributed $460.0 million to NCLC and the historical financial statements of NCLC became those of NCLH. The Corporate Reorganization was effected solely for the purpose of reorganizing our corporate structure. NCLH had not prior to the completion of the Corporate Reorganization conducted any activities other than those incidental to its formation and to preparations for the Corporate Reorganization and IPO. The Corporate Reorganization resulted in all parties being in the same economic position immediately prior to the IPO. As the economic position of the investors did not change as part of the Corporate Reorganization it is considered a nonsubstantive merger from an accounting perspective.


NCLC is treated as a partnership for U.S. federal income tax purposes, and the terms of the partnership (including the economic rights with respect thereto) are set forth in an amended and restated tax agreement for NCLC. Economic interests in NCLC are represented by the partnership interests established under the tax agreement, which we refer to as “NCL Corporation Units.” The NCL Corporation Units held by NCLH (as a result of its ownership of 100% of the ordinary shares of NCLC) represent a 97.9% economic interest in NCLC as of June 30, 2014. The remaining 2.1% economic interest in NCLC as of June 30, 2014 is in the form of Management NCL Corporation Units held by management (or former management). As a result of the aforementioned transactions and the Secondary Offerings, the Sponsors owned 55.9% of NCLH’s ordinary shares as of June 30, 2014.